Thursday, March 17, 2011

Venue Photography

Last night I talked to a young lady that is getting married in May 2011. She was looking for a photographer to take some engagement pictures and wanted to know what Reflective Moments offers in their engagement session.

This stuck me as curious, so I asked her "Why not use the photographer that is shooting your wedding?" Her reply was "I am getting married at _______ _______ ______. They provide the photography on my wedding day. It is part of the package. I decided that I want some engagement pictures so I am looking for a photographer to do that for me."

A couple of questions come to my mind. Why would a bride book their wedding with a venue that required them to use their hired photographer? What kind of photographer do they think would agree to be part of a package deal? This is the recipe for a wedding photographic disaster!

Understand the risk of venue package photography. You do not know who will be the venue photographer from one day to the next. They are employed by the venue, not you. You could have someone photographing your wedding with no more credentials that the ownership of a digital camera. Even worse, the venue may own the camera and simply hire a person to snap photos.

Remember brides, the flowers wilt, the wedding dress yellows and your handsome groom loses a few hairs. In the end all you have are your beautiful pictures from that day. Although the first part in planning a wedding is booking the venue, it is not the most important part. The most important part is your photography, because it is your memory of your wedding day.

No comments:

Post a Comment